Historic Tasmanian home with department store fame

Historic Tasmanian home with department store fame
Historic Tasmanian home with department store fame

Noted as one of Hobart's 'true' mansions, 1905-built Roscraig was constructed for Mr Brownell, the owner of Brownell Brothers Ltd, the first department store in Hobart.

The property is on approvimately 2,246 square metres on the high side of the road, and has views over New Town, North Hobart, the Hobart Docks and the Eastern Shore.

The four-bedroom, two-bathroom home, 21 Mortimer Avenue, Mount Stuart, includes an operational original servants bell and six car spaces.

{yoogallery src=[images/stories/2013/12/19/mortimer/gallery/]}

The pictures show beautiful stained glass windows and period-features, such as bay windows and fireplaces.

It's currently listed asking for $1.2 million. RP Data records show that previously, it was bought in 2005 for $650,000, having been purchased for $205,500 in 1987.

floorplan1

Brownwells originally began as David Moses' London Mart, which was a drapery and general store builty in 1836. It then became Brownwell Brothers in 1888, according to The Companion to Tasmanian History, before becoming a public company in 1902.

It was remodelled in the 1950s with American techniques, becoming Tasmania's largest department store, before being taken over by Myer in 1959.

jduke@propertyobserver.com.au

Jennifer Duke

Jennifer Duke

Jennifer Duke was a property writer at Property Observer

Community Discussion

Be the first one to comment on this article
What would you like to say about this project?